The trade fair system provides key support for the growth and economic development of Lombardy and its businesses: indeed, the trade fairs are a formidable and irreplaceable tool of advertising and internationalisation, marketing and product promotion.
Trade fair activity has been recognised as a free private entrepreneurial activity that is subject to market laws: as such, operators, including international operators, can organise trade fairs in Lombardy at sites with structures and services that meet the criteria established by law and which are qualified to host the trade fairs in question, providing the Region with due notification.
The Region has therefore introduced policies aimed at strengthening the reputation and competitiveness of the trade fair system. These are charged with:
- coordinating scheduled events (uniform attribution of qualifications and putting together event calendar) and the network of trade fair centres, highlighting their complementary nature beginning with recognition of their individual vocations and excellent products
- promoting the sector both at international level (direct and indirect actions to encourage partnerships between events and operators and the international markets) and at regional level (contributions to events on calendar).
The Lombardy trade fair system is made up of multiple entities that operate in an increasingly broader, more structured and more competitive economic and production scenario:
- the Fiera Milano trade fair district, with the 2005 opening of the external site, is strengthening its reputation as a world-class site
- the international, national and regional trade fair centres that satisfy the needs of operators and scheduled events with diverse and qualified equipment and services
- the organisers of trade fairs, who operate with entrepreneurial strategies in a market that is now free and highly competitive.